Dec 25, 2005

Season’s Greetings.

Christmas Eve is upon us - I find my way over to my cousins’ to spend time with him and his family, happy that the holiday is here (meaning an end to the whole Christmas season) and thankful to have a place to go. The last few days have passed like a whirlwind and even though there is plenty of traffic on the way down to his house, I am surprisingly calm just enjoying the drive without the radio or sound of any kind.

Beautifully warm as the day was, it somehow takes the edge off of the holiday. I’ve never been a big fan of the cold weather and getting days where the temperature climbs towards 50° at this point in December is the best present I could imagine.

So, during my meandering drive, I take a somewhat different route choosing to go down the Sprain as opposed to the Bronx River just opting for a wider road that will more likely be easier to navigate than the winding curves of the BRP (especially when clogged with those who don’t drive much of the rest of the year).

This route takes me across Central Avenue, a shopping hub where the stores are still jam packed as people try to get that last minute shopping finished.

After I cross the Avenue, I wind up entering this very beautiful part of Yonkers, hidden away the BRP bordering it on the east and a ridge separating it from Central Avenue on the west. One stretch of the area has these wonderful wide tree-lined boulevards, with very quaint and stylish houses standing regally beside the road.

Every year at this time, some people are compelled to make a spectacle, adorning there house with the Las Vegas equivalent of home decoration and this neighborhood is no different with the occasional nod to garishness. However, the thing that is so striking, the thing that seems to embody some of the solemnness of the holiday and the quiet beauty which has diminished over time is the very simple decoration I come upon while driving through the area.

House after house festooned with a series of paper bags at curbside. Plain brown paper bags which contain nothing more than candles fluttering in the slight breeze of the evening. A sight which is both magical and wonderful to behold. I had never seen anything like it before - after doing some digging around I found it is called Luminaria. If there is one custom I would like to see more of during the holidays, this is it — it beats any light show I’ve ever seen hands down and the pictures don’t do it justice.





No comments: